·The word Hereford means a ford that is used by an army.
·In 760 one of the first of many documented large battles were fought between the English and the Welsh. War actually brought a lot of trade and business to Hereford.
·Tourism and faith have often gone hand-in-hand in Hereford. When Saint Ethelbert died in 794 people began making pilgrimages to see his shrine and burial place.
·Hereford had its own Mint. In 914 the Danish tried to attack it and the city but Hereford was able to fight them back.
·Despite Hereford having a castle, that was thought to have been built in 1050, the Welsh were able to invade and burnt much of the city to the ground only 5 years later. The castle itself was situated on what is known today as Castle Green, but was demolished after damage that occurred during the Civil War.
·Hereford once had quite a large Jewish community. But in 1290 all Jews were expelled.
·Herefords stone bridge was first built in 1100. Before that it was wooden.
·It is thought that it was around the 12th Century that the City walls were erected.
·The infamous Hereford Cattle is often used as a symbol for the City. The very first Hereford Cow documented as being sold was in 1795.
·Hereford is often seen as a cider making city. In 1887 Percy Bulmer established his business which still sees today Bulmers brands being distributed throughout the world.
·Alfred Watkins, particularly famous for the ley-line theories was born at the Imperial Hotel in Widemarsh Street.
·Herefordians are well aware that for a few days a year the City Centre becomes the traditional May fair. This fair actually dates back to 1121 when the rights to hold the fair were granted by King Henry I. Originally though, the fair was held in June.
· The first cinema opened in Hereford in 1911.
· The first record of Hereford having a Mayor was in 1383
·King Charles famous mistress Nell Gwynne was born and lived in Hereford.
·The Mappi Mundi, which is housed in Hereford Cathedral is thought to date back to the 13th Century. It is a depiction of how people really saw the world at this time.
·Conningsby Hospital (museum) was built in 1614, The black and white house (museum) was built in 1621 and the Aubrey Street Almshouses were built in 1630.
·The City was greatly affected by the plagues when it came in 1566, 1580, 1604 and 1610.
·During the Civil War control switched several times between the Parlimentarians and the Royalists. Hereford was often seen as a Royalist city. When the parliamentary forces tried to siege Hereford in 1645 they were not successful and had to retreat. However, the city was finally taken by the parlimentarians when they tricked their way into the city by dressing up as labourers.
·Daniel Defoe (Journal of a plague year/Robinson Crusoe) visited the city and described it as mean built and very dirty.
·In 1774 streets became paved and oil lamps were providing street lighting.
·All of the gates surrounding the city were demolished between 1782-1798 to make better access for traffic in and out of the city.
·In 1786 the west wing of the cathedral collapsed and had to be rebuilt.
·1856 saw Herefords water works built and a sewer network quickly followed.
·The Victoria Bridge was built in 1897.
·Hereford was the last major town to be connected by rail in 1854.
·The Butter Market was built in 1860.
·The famous actor and theatre owner David Garrick was born in Hereford. He is said to have influenced a huge amount of Theatrical growth during the 1700s.
·The population in Hereford was thought to just below 5000 in the middle ages. Today it is expected to be in the region of 50,400.
·Hereford Cathedral is thought to be one of the oldest in the England. It was built in 1079 but it is thought to have had possibly a former building serving the same purpose before this.